Monday, May 2, 2011

My very first quilt

I first became interested in quiilting backin the early 1980's. I bought a very basic book and found two patterns that I liked. One was the dresden plate and the other a butterfly. I already had a stash of fabric from my years of making clothing, so I decided to use the scraps. I really had no idea of how to quilt, so I learning as I went. The directions were for making squares and sewing them together.



I appliqued the patterns onto the square with batting and backing. I then sewed the squares together. When that was done I added batting and backing to the entire quilt. As you may have guessed the quilt is quite heavy. I did not know at that time that if you add batting and backing to each square that you don't add it again  when finished. Since my knowledge and  skills have improved, I hope to make these patterns again in the near future.
    Currently I am working on the double wedding ring quilt. It is my first time doing paper piecing and I will let you know how I like that method. I will post pictures as work progresses.

1 comment:

  1. Even your first quilt is exquisite! Good luck with the double wedding ring quilt-sounds challenging.

    ReplyDelete